You are here:

Immigration Issues/I-797 Sponsorship Question


Good morning,

My name is Daryn and I would like to thank you for your time and consideration with the following question. I currently have an application with the INS/Homeland Security for an I-797 Unmarried Child 21/Older of Permanent Resident. This application has been pending since July 2002. According to this application my mother is the sponsor and she has a green card based on her being the spouse to my father who received his green card due to a change of status from an E-2 visa. A lot of changes have occurred since July 2002. My parents have recently divorced being my main concern. Can I ask what requirements are set in regards to my mother's sponsorship of me in terms of financial responsibilities? I would also like to know if a background check would be done on my mother (I am worried about this because of the divorce of my parents and if this would affect my application)? Thank you so much for your time and attention!!!


It is OK to be divorced, your mother would be required to show financial ability to support you. If she is unable to do so she can get a co-sponsor to do so.  Your case may take another 7 years or so to allow you to enter the US based on the current priority dates.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]