Immigration Issues/I-94 return date.

Question
Hi -

1> My mom's 10 yr visa to US expires Apr 2009. She is planning on visiting US in Dec 2008. In the past she has always got a stay on 6 mon on her US visits. Since here visa is going to expire in Apr 2009, do the official now let her permit to stay for fewer months?

2> Last my mom was in US I applied for her Green card. But she had to leave after 6 months - will she have a issue entering the country back on her multiple entry visa?

Thanks!

Anima.

Answer

I do not recommend that your mother enter the U.S. on a visitor visa if you have already applied for her green card (through filing Form I-130). She has shown an intent to immigrate to the U.S. and may be refused entry.

I recommend that she wait until the I-130 has been approved, and then she should apply for an immigrant visa (green card) at the Consulate.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora