You are here:

Immigration Issues/Entering the U.S. from Canada with a DUI record


A close friend (honestly, not myself)was charged with a DUI more than three years ago while attending university.
The case has not gone to trial as of yet but is scheduled for this December.  Since his DUI, this person has stopped drinking, has a very good job with a future, and has bought a home with his girlfried.  He is expecting a huge promotion before the end of 2008 and, following this promotion, he would be expected to travel frequently to the U.S. beginning in 2009.  His main fear is that he would be refused U.S. entry should he try to enter the U.S. by airplane.  This refusal could ultimately cost him his job.  Would he have this problem to enter the U.S. or would a DUI with no complications hinder his entry?
Thanks in advance.

Recently the rules have changed regarding DUI convictions. A new rule is now become effective that is even one DUI arrest within the last 3 years causes an automatic referral to a panel physician for further evaluation. So if your friend is able to obtain a clearance from the physician (if referred) then he should be able to get a visa.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]