Immigration Issues/Graduate studies during Green Card processing

Question
Dear Mr. Arora,
Your answers to other posts have been very helpful and insightful. I would greatly appreciate if you can kindly help me make a decision on whether I should apply for a GC?

I am a Ph.D. working in high technology. I plan to join in an MBA school in a couple of years. I am worried that if I apply for a GC and if I do not get it by the time I go for an MBA, I might not get my F1 visa.

Could you please advise on what are my chances of getting an F1 visa (here or in India) if I applied for a GC?

Thanks very much in advance,
Vatsala

Answer
Hi Vanessa,

If an immigrant petition is filed for you, F1 visa status will probably not be issued since F visa status does not allow for intention to immigrate to the U.S.

Incidentally, H1B visa status does allow for study, as long as you are also employed by the sponsoring employer. H visa status is dual-intent, i.e., it allows for intention to immigrate to the U.S. even though it is a nonimmigrant visa category.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com  

Ajay K. Arora