Immigration Issues/H1B or OPT

I am currently on my OPT (till Jan 2, 2009) and have got my H1B approved (without the Change of status approval starting on October 1, 2008). I wanted to clarify the two scenario's in this case:

1. I go for my VISA stamping and get my H1B stamping approved. In this case can I return on my OPT status ASAP instead of waiting for 21st September (10 days before H1B becomes effective) ?

2. I go for my VISA stamping and my H1B is denied. Can I return to US on my OPT anyways ?

1) Re-entering the US on OPT with H-1B visa stamped would require you to leave the country and reenter again on H to start employment as a H visa holder in October.
2) You can reenter on OPT provided you are continuing to be employed in your field of study.

I would advice you against trying to enter on OPT for this short period as the officer at the POE may give you trouble.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.

I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,