Immigration Issues/H1B or OPT

Question
I am currently on my OPT (till Jan 2, 2009) and have got my H1B approved (without the Change of status approval starting on October 1, 2008). I wanted to clarify the two scenario's in this case:

1. I go for my VISA stamping and get my H1B stamping approved. In this case can I return on my OPT status ASAP instead of waiting for 21st September (10 days before H1B becomes effective) ?

2. I go for my VISA stamping and my H1B is denied. Can I return to US on my OPT anyways ?

Answer
Sahil,
1) Re-entering the US on OPT with H-1B visa stamped would require you to leave the country and reenter again on H to start employment as a H visa holder in October.
2) You can reenter on OPT provided you are continuing to be employed in your field of study.

I would advice you against trying to enter on OPT for this short period as the officer at the POE may give you trouble.

Sincerely,
Ramasamy Krishnan
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Ramasamy Krishnan