Immigration Issues/J-1 to F-1

Question
Mr. Arora,
my friend's J-1 visa (no 2 year home residence requirement) is expiring in a few days, but he has already applied for a tourist visa to extend his stay. I was wondering if he still can file COS application from J-1 to F-1, or should he wait for the outcome on his tourist COS application? Or is there any way he can cancel it and then reapply for COS to F-1?
Please advise, as we need your help!
Thanks in advance!  

Answer
Hi Jazeera,

My recommendation is that the change of status application be filed requesting change of status from J1 to F1 prior to I-94 expiration. If your friend waits until his I-94 expires, then the tourist COS application (B2 visa status) will need to be approved before the F1 COS application will be approved. If your friend manages to file the COS to F1 application prior to I-94 expiration, then the COS to B2 application can be withdrawn.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com  

Ajay K. Arora