Immigration Issues/Marriage in the U.S


I'm a Canadian Citizen and I have meet my fiancee online, we've been together for four years now and came to the decision to get married in the U.S. I've read a few question and answers from the same topic but there seems to be one question I still wonder about. If I get married in the States do I have to return back to Canada even before three months?

If you get married in the US, you and your spouse can then file for the visa and adjustment of status here. While you are waiting you can apply for a work authorization. You will be allowed to stay here until the process is completed which can be a lengthy period.

good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.