You are here:

Immigration Issues/Transfer of H1 B visa from non profit to profit


I am currently working for a Non-Profit organization, which has sponsored my H-1B visa. Even though I filed through Non-profit I was subject to regular H-1B visa Cap as the organization was not exempt from the visa cap. Now I want to transfer my H-1B visa to profit, do i need to file for H-1 again or could I transfer.

I am not sure what you mean by "do I need to file for H-1 again or could I transfer". if you mean that you can go to work for a new employer without doing filing a fresh H-1B application you are mistaken.

As you are not subject to the cap your new employer needs to file for your H-1B.  YOu however can join him after the application has been filed and prior to approval.


Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]