Immigration Issues/visa for research


QUESTION: hello, i find this web site very useful, i am sure to find answer to my query here.
I have finished my postgraduation in India, MS Surgery. I have an opportunity to get in a research fellow position in US for one yr. The institute in US shall be funding my research. I want to know which visa best suits me, coz in near future i shall be applying for a clinical fellow position. I am worried about the 2 yr Home country return rule, is this applicable to J1 research visa?
also is it possible i can do this post graduation research on F1 research visa.
I am currently on visitor visa in US
Thanks in advance
Dr Yogesh More
Dr Yogesh More

ANSWER: Dr. Yogesh,
J-1 visa in most cases will subject you to the two year requirement.  F-1 visa is only for students. The best option would be the H-1B visa.

Ramasamy Krishnan

[an error occurred while processing this directive]---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thanks a lot for your kind reply,
as you have mentioned that H1b should be best, i would like to know if converting H1b research to H1b clinical visa, thats when i complete my research fellow position and shift to a clinical fellow position, could this conversion be a problem or what are the limitations/restrictions in this conversion?

Dr. Yogesh,
There is no different H-1B visas for different jobs or professions. The only limitation is in the availability of the H visas. Since you will be working for an educational institution your initial H visa would be "not subject to the cap" but when you shift to work for a company then you will become subject to the cap.

You should also try to obtain your green card or permanent residency ASAP.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]