Immigration Issues/Green Card


I am a holder of an American Green Card, could you let me know.
1. If I should be paying taxes if I am not working in the US?

2. If I am working outside the US, how long can I stay out of the country before returning?

3.Would this be a problem if I am working outside the US and spend a lot of time outside the country.

1.  If you have income, you should file your income tax returns.
2.  Six months to a year but you must maintain your residency in the US.
3.  Yes.  Consult with an immigration attorney to find out how the rules relate to your case.
Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.