You are here:

Immigration Issues/H1B visa residing in US



I have a question.  I am a US citizen and have been dating someone in India, holding a H1B visa with a US company, expiring in 2012.  If he wants to live in the US with me now, what are the requirements and/or processes we have to take in order to achieve this?  What privileges does a H1B visa have?  How long does the process take before he can resides in the US with me?

Thank you for your time.

If he his in India at this time, you have two options, either bring him to the US as a fiancee and then get married in the US or you need to get married and file either an immigrant visa or K-3 visa. I am not sure about the time frame but it would take about a year or less.

If he his in the US then you need to get married and file forms I=130/I-485. The process would take around a year for him to get his permanent residence.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.