Immigration Issues/K3 visa

Question
Hi There Ajay.
I am a Canadian Citizen, married to a U.S. Citizen. While recently traveling from Canada to the United States to visit my husband just returned for Iraq, I was pulled aside at Customs because I did not have a "Spousal visa". They sent a file reporting me to the U.S. Consulate and allowed me to travel with an I-94 attached to the inside of my passport. Let me just say it was quite an unpleasant and traumatizing experience for me.
So I was wondering if my Husband and I will now have any difficulties in filing for a Green Card and if so what kind? Also what can we do to ease the process and remove my restrictions to the United States?

Answer
Hi Annie,

If you are married to a U.S. citizen, the immigration officer at the port-of-entry will assume that you have an intention to immigrate to the U.S. This intention to immigrate to the U.S. is not consistent with visiting the U.S.

Thus, I recommend that your husband sponsor you so that your next entry to the U.S. is on K3 visa. You will not have any trouble entering the U.S. on a K3 visa since this visa category is expressly for the purpose of immigrating to the U.S. based on spousal sponsorship.

The following USCIS website discusses the K3 visa category and is extremely helpful: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora