Immigration Issues/family petitions

Question
My wife has her perm. res. and is going to be applying for U.S. citizenship in a couple months.  When she gets her citizenship, we would like to bring, from Colombia, her brother, sister, and mother to live with us in the U.S.  Her brother and sister are 12,13 years old.  What are the steps we are going to need to take?  About how long is the process?  Is there anything we need to know; possible obstacles? Thanks.

Answer

When your wife is a U.S. citizen, she can sponsor her siblings and mother. The various family sponsorship categories are noted here: http://h1b1.com/sponsor.htm

Sponsorship is normally initiated through the filing of an I-130 petition with the USCIS: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-130.pdf

It will take about one year for a parent, and about 10 years or more for a sibling.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora