You are here:

Immigration Issues/how soon you can go home to marry


When I received my green card, how soon can I go home to marry my boyfriend and when can I file his petition?

You can go home any time and get married. But marriage after you get your green card does not allow your husband to enter the US immediately. He would need to wait 3-4 years before he will become eligible. I would advise that you marry before you get the green card this will allow him to join you immediately.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.