Immigration Issues/Naturalization--married to US Citizen

Question
Dear Sir:

My husband was a green card holder and became a US citizen in 2000.  I am still a green card holder. From 2004 till 2006 we lived abroad (I returned every 10 months to keep my green card valid). In the year 2006 we returned to the US and lived the last 3 years in the US and I left only once (3 weeks).

When can I apply for the US citizenship?  Is my waiting period 3 years because I am the wife of an American citizen or 5 years?

TIA"  

Answer

Your waiting period is 3 years based on marriage to a U.S. citizen. Thus, your naturalization application can be filed now since  i) the couple has been married for 3 years; ii) the spouse was a citizen during that entire period; and iii) the couple is living in marital unity.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora