Immigration Issues/U.S Resident

Question
HI,
I'm a U.S. citizen and i been married for the past five years and i have two son's.My husband entered the U.S. legally with a passport at the age of 5.For the past 20 years he has been in the U.S. illegaly.I went to a public notary and ask how can i help him get his permanent residency,she said he would have to leave the country because since he lost his passport, and she said we will need the number of the passport to proof he came in legally.What can i do?Is there any way i could help him? Is there any way i could get the passport number? please help and thank you for your time.....

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Alisa,

Thanks for your question.  You can do two things.  File for an I-102 on your own or with an attorney.  This is the application for a replacement entry record, called the I-94.  

Lastly, you should be very wary of using the services of a notary.  They are not lawyers and cannot represent you and your husband in proceedings with the USCIS.  Many people put their trust into notary services, but if they are assisting people with their USCIS proceedings, you are basically on your own if something goes wrong.  In fact, in my state, the Attorney General prosecutes notaries who provide legal services.

Many immigration attorneys will charge a flat rate for your type of case.  It is wrought with risks.  But if done correctly, your husband will not have to leave the US.  However, this is a tricky scenario and you should find an attorney who you can trust, if possible.  Many law firms, like mine work with clients throughout the nation and some attorneys like me take payment plans.  We are able to practice immigration law in all 50 states because our practice area (immigration law) is based on federal law.  

Good luck,
Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
www.immigrationvisaattorneyblog.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7

Eileen Chun-Fruto