Immigration Issues/U.S Resident


I'm a U.S. citizen and i been married for the past five years and i have two son's.My husband entered the U.S. legally with a passport at the age of 5.For the past 20 years he has been in the U.S. illegaly.I went to a public notary and ask how can i help him get his permanent residency,she said he would have to leave the country because since he lost his passport, and she said we will need the number of the passport to proof he came in legally.What can i do?Is there any way i could help him? Is there any way i could get the passport number? please help and thank you for your time.....

Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Alisa,

Thanks for your question.  You can do two things.  File for an I-102 on your own or with an attorney.  This is the application for a replacement entry record, called the I-94.  

Lastly, you should be very wary of using the services of a notary.  They are not lawyers and cannot represent you and your husband in proceedings with the USCIS.  Many people put their trust into notary services, but if they are assisting people with their USCIS proceedings, you are basically on your own if something goes wrong.  In fact, in my state, the Attorney General prosecutes notaries who provide legal services.

Many immigration attorneys will charge a flat rate for your type of case.  It is wrought with risks.  But if done correctly, your husband will not have to leave the US.  However, this is a tricky scenario and you should find an attorney who you can trust, if possible.  Many law firms, like mine work with clients throughout the nation and some attorneys like me take payment plans.  We are able to practice immigration law in all 50 states because our practice area (immigration law) is based on federal law.  

Good luck,
Eileen Chun-Fruto

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Eileen Chun-Fruto


I can answer any employment-based immigration question including questions about PERM labor certifications, H-1B skilled workers, L-1A multinational managers or executives and L-1B specialized knowledge, R-1 and I-360 religious workers, investor cases (E Treaty Trader and E Treaty Investors and EB-5 "million dollar investors") and O-1 extraordinary ability cases. I can also answer any questions regarding family-based immigration, such as adoptions, waiver cases, consular processing (using foreign consulates to enter as an immigrant), marriage and fiance/fiancee cases, 245(i) cases, VAWA (Violence Against Women's Act), battered spouses, and Child Status Protection Act (CSPA).


I have over 12 years of experience in business and family immigration. I was a former law clerk for the Executive Officer for Immigration Review (the immigration courts) in San Francisco and I current serve as the California Service Center's (CSC) liaison on behalf of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. I represent individuals and corporations alike, ranging from professionals in the high tech, science, liberal arts fields. I have a special niche in working with start-up companies and individuals with more complex immigration issues.

Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Executive Committee on Immigration

J.D., University of California at Davis - King Hall School of Law (1997) B.A., University of California at Irvine, cum laude (1994)

Awards and Honors
2005, 2006, 2007, 2008: Selected to Southern California Rising Star - Super Lawyers List (an honor shared by no more than 2.5% of the attorneys practicing in the entire Southern California region) Faculty/Moderator on various AILA and LACBA continuing legal education seminars in the following topics: H-1B, O-1, religious workers, business immigration visas

Past/Present Clients
My typical business clients can range from a start-up company, established engineering and software research and development companies, manufacturing, trade and distribution companies, public and private schools, and religious organizations. Family clients include spouses, parent-child petitions, siblings, naturalization, and most especially, representation of abandoned and neglected children viewed as orphans under the immigration law. I have represented many clients who relied on special provisions of the immigration law to preserve or "grandfather" benefits to family members in limited (and complicated) circumstances, to avoid re-application fees and longer waiting times.

©2017 All rights reserved.