Immigration Issues/green card expiration

Question
Dear Eileen:

I recently got my green card through marriage to a US citizen. My spouse and I have known each other for 20 years and have been living together in the past 4 years. However, we got married just last year and since we have been married for less than a year, I am only a conditional green card holder and my card has to be renewed 2 years from now.

Unfortunately, our marriage started to crumple even before we went to the initial interview. To continue living in this stressful condition is detriment to both of us, despite our many efforts to repair the marriage. I want to file for a divorce.

My question is, when I file for a divorce before my green card expires, do I have to leave the country immediately? Or can I still keep the green card until it expires 2 years from now? If I have to leave the country, can I enter the country again? Or will I be banned?

Thank you for your help.

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Mayte,

Sorry to hear of your marriage falling apart.  If your divorce if final before the greencard (2 year conditional) expires, then you can either leave the country or ask the USCIS to allow you to keep your greencard despite the fact that you are no longer married to your spouse.  If you ask for the latter, you will have to prove that your marriage was ENTERED into in GOOD FAITH, and that the reasons why the marriage fell apart wasn't your fault.  You would file for this process on the form I-751.

It is kind of a strange rule, but if you are successful, then you will be able to keep your greencard.  If you fail, then the USCIS will probably start removal (deportation) proceedings.

This type of case is looked upon with a lot of skepticism and scrutiny.  You will probably have to attend an interview, so good luck.  As always, I advise people not just to rely on the information they find on the internet, but to meet with an attorney.  Our office provides free consultations, if you are interested in talking with me, you can give us a call.  We represent clients throughout the nation and internationally as well. Otherwise, call your local bar association and find a reputable attorney who can give you some additional insight and help you weigh this option.  

Good luck,
Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
www.immigrationvisaattorneyblog.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7

Eileen Chun-Fruto