Immigration Issues/interview

Question
Dear Madam:

My husband was a green card holder and became a US citizen in 2000.  I am still a green card holder. From 2004 till 2006 we lived abroad (I returned every 10 months to keep my green card valid). In the year 2006 we returned to the US and lived the last 3 years in the US and I left only once (3 weeks).

When can I apply for the US citizenship?  Is my waiting period 3 years because I am the wife of an American citizen or 5 years?

TIA

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear S,

Your question a little unclear.  Did you get your greencard through your husband after he became a US citizen?  Or did he apply for you when he was still a greencard holder?  Either way, the rule is this:

Normally, the residency requirement is 5 years.

It is only 3 years IF your greencard was granted for being the spouse of a US citizen and the US citizen spouse has been a USC for at least 3 years and your marriage is at least 3 years old.  

I'm not sure if you are the same person "S" who asked me about the residency requirement for naturalization and potential abandonment issues.  Please check my previous threads on abandonment of permanent residency as well since you have been in and out of the US.

Good luck.

Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
www.immigrationvisaattorneyblog.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7

Eileen Chun-Fruto