Immigration Issues/H1B COS

Question
hi Eileen

My status changed F1-H1B on 1st October. I got employer's email stating that the Client has cut off openings; they are finding placements at other site. As on date, no project, no enrollment on payroll. I plan to wait for another 3 weeks, if no work till Nov 21, I will leave US in the last week of Nov (Well before 30th Nov).

My Questions:

1. If the current employer is able to find an alternative placement, would it be advisable to demand the back wages from the start date of H1B (i.e from 1st Oct). especially if the same has the potential to raise a query at future visa stamping, with the current petition?

2. Would an alternative client if found by current employer, require an amended LCA/H1 petition because of possible change in work site?

3. Meanwhile if another employment opportunity comes my way in next 3 weeks, what are the chances of the second petition approval for an extension of stay?

4. In case of "no project by current employer" and "no second employer found" by Nov 21, will this 50 days time after 1st Oct (without productive work) adversely impact any NON-IMMIGRANT VISA STAMPING at a later stage?

Thanks
Kiran

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Kiran,

1.  As far as back wages are concerned, that is a Dept of Labor issue.  If DOL finds you are owed backwages, you might be awarded your wages, but I think your greater problem is having violated your status by being in the US and not working, regardless of whether that was your employers fault or your own.

2.  Perhaps.  

3.  Chances are getting slimmer by the day.  USCIS is very skeptical of extension of statuses for exactly this reason, that is H-1B holders not working because their employers have not provided employment.  There is a "no-benching" rule against this and it is an unforgiving one.

4.  Absolutely so.

Bad news all around.  Sorry and good luck.

Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
www.immigrationvisaattorneyblog.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7

Eileen Chun-Fruto