Immigration Issues/H1B to H4 transfer back to H1B

Question
Hello - I came to the US in May 2009 on H-4 visa. I got my H-1B approved in July 2009 and got my I-797 along with the approval (which included the I-94).
I have not started work with the company that filed for the H-1B and I am currently looking for another employer. If my job search takes more than 2 to 3 months from now, then in the interim is it advisable to go back to an H-4 status ?
If yes, then whenever I have a valid job offer, is it possible to change the status back to H-1B immediately or will I have to wait  for next April 2010 to apply for H-1b and Oct 2010 for it to get effective?

Answer

You are automatically in H1B status as of October 01, 2009. However, you are violating H1B status by not being employed by the H1B employer. Thus, my recommendation is for you to either change status to H4 immediately by filing an application to change status to H4, or else be ready to depart the U.S. and then enter the U.S. on unexpired H4 visa stamp.

If you find another employer in the future willing to file an H1B petition for you, there will be no problem in changing status from H4 to H1B, as you will not be subject to the visa cap.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora