Immigration Issues/H1B transfer

Question
Dear sir

FACTS:
F1 to H1B approved for change of status effective date 10/1/2009. However Company A is unable to get any projects and I'm planning to transfer H1-b to Company B.

QUESTIONS:

(1) Am I out of status, based on the fact that Im not working under H1-B as on date?

(2) If Company B files a H1-B transfer without Company As paystub, how likely would USCIS ask for it?  

(3) If USCIS ask for Company As paystub, and I cant provide, is the result going be a denial of petition OR an automatic approval for consulate processing?

(4) If the petition from employer B is either denied or approved for consulate processing, can the beneficiary switch back to employer A, in case he is able to find a project at a later date?

Thanks
Surbhi

Answer

You are violating your H1B status if you are not employed by Co. A effective October 01.

The USCIS may or may not ask for recent pay stubs from Co. A, since Co. B is filing soon after Co. A's H1B petition took effect. If the USCIS asks for recent pay stubs from Co. A and you are unable to provide the pay stubs, the USCIS should still approve Co. B's H1B petition, but you will be required to apply for H1B visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate abroad ("consular processing") in order in activate H1B status through Co. B.

Since multiple companies can file an H1B petition for you, your ability to be employed by Co. A will not be invalidated when Co. B files an H1B petition for you, or if Co. B's H1B petition is approved (with or without change of status), or denied. As a practical matter, you can continue to work for Co. A, or start working for Co. A anytime.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com  

Ajay K. Arora