Immigration Issues/green card renewal


Dear Madam,

My green card expires in 4 months and I did not apply for renewal yet.
I know that I have to fill in the form I-90 and sent it together with a copy of my green card and a fee, I think to an USCIS office in Texas.

Is there a faster way that I can get the renewal?
Can I apply in person at an USCIS office in the state where I live?

If this is not possible, I am in kind of a dilemma as I have to leave the US next month, and I do not know if I will be back before the green card expires.

Can the American Consulate abroad help me in some way that I can re-enter the US with an expired green card?  Will the Immigration Officer make me difficulties if I re-enter with an expired green card?

Awaiting your kind answer,  TIA

Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Kath,

Unfortunately, there is no faster way than to apply for the I-90.  In some circumstances, say if you have to travel for emergency purposes, your local USCIS office *may* entertain giving you a temporary proof of your greencard but they are very very very strict about issuing those.  You can try and do an infopass appointment via and see if they can help you.

Otherwise, traveling without a valid greencard is a major risk.  The officer at the airport will use his or her discretion to allow you to enter to put you into proceedings after allowing you some sort of parole back into the US.  Remember, just because you failed to renew your greencard in a timely fashion, does not mean that the Immigration Service has to make extraordinary efforts to assist you in returning.  Needless to say, they do not have to be forgiving.

Try the infopass and otherwise, just know you will face some questioning upon return and whether they allow you to return is another question.

Good luck,
Eileen Chun-Fruto

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Eileen Chun-Fruto


I can answer any employment-based immigration question including questions about PERM labor certifications, H-1B skilled workers, L-1A multinational managers or executives and L-1B specialized knowledge, R-1 and I-360 religious workers, investor cases (E Treaty Trader and E Treaty Investors and EB-5 "million dollar investors") and O-1 extraordinary ability cases. I can also answer any questions regarding family-based immigration, such as adoptions, waiver cases, consular processing (using foreign consulates to enter as an immigrant), marriage and fiance/fiancee cases, 245(i) cases, VAWA (Violence Against Women's Act), battered spouses, and Child Status Protection Act (CSPA).


I have over 12 years of experience in business and family immigration. I was a former law clerk for the Executive Officer for Immigration Review (the immigration courts) in San Francisco and I current serve as the California Service Center's (CSC) liaison on behalf of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. I represent individuals and corporations alike, ranging from professionals in the high tech, science, liberal arts fields. I have a special niche in working with start-up companies and individuals with more complex immigration issues.

Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Executive Committee on Immigration

J.D., University of California at Davis - King Hall School of Law (1997) B.A., University of California at Irvine, cum laude (1994)

Awards and Honors
2005, 2006, 2007, 2008: Selected to Southern California Rising Star - Super Lawyers List (an honor shared by no more than 2.5% of the attorneys practicing in the entire Southern California region) Faculty/Moderator on various AILA and LACBA continuing legal education seminars in the following topics: H-1B, O-1, religious workers, business immigration visas

Past/Present Clients
My typical business clients can range from a start-up company, established engineering and software research and development companies, manufacturing, trade and distribution companies, public and private schools, and religious organizations. Family clients include spouses, parent-child petitions, siblings, naturalization, and most especially, representation of abandoned and neglected children viewed as orphans under the immigration law. I have represented many clients who relied on special provisions of the immigration law to preserve or "grandfather" benefits to family members in limited (and complicated) circumstances, to avoid re-application fees and longer waiting times.

©2017 All rights reserved.