Immigration Issues/H1 B 6th year,

Question
Hi, I am in my H1B 6th year and will expire in June,30 2010.

My perm is just started and will be applied in Jan,2010.
What are my chances to continue after my H1-B expired as my perm will not finish the 365 days validity.
I have a project even after my H1-B expiry, my client has told me to get in any way either H1B extension or other ways.

My question :

1) Can I get B1 immediately after my H1-B expiry, then come into USA and continue in the project? (My client will provide all the documentation to work on B1.) He wants me in USA for this project which will be there till end of 2011.

2) Can I apply new H1B in this 2009 CAP, if yes, do I need to go out side USA and apply new H1, so that I will get the new 6th year H1 - while I am on B1, Can apply the new H1?
It is highly appreciable for your suggestion

Thanks
Navsar

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Navsar,

I wish I had a crystal ball so I could tell you what are your chances at getting your PERM approved before your 6th year H-1B expires.  It's very hard to tell with DOL delays, but generally, PERMs are taking about 1 year without audit for certification.  If you are audited, it is almost guaranteed that your PERM will be delayed another year.

As far as getting a B-1, the USCIS is very skeptical of H-1B to B-1 changes of status, it just smells of continued employment, but if you can give a good reason and the CIS believes it, it is possible.  However, if you are telling me that you want to work on your project on a B-1, you should be advised that is illegal.

Finally, you cannot apply for a new H-1B via the 2009 cap since you have to be physically out of the country before you can apply for a new 6 year term of H-1B.  

Very sorry this is all bad news, but it is the reality.

Good luck,
Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
www.immigrationvisaattorneyblog.com

Eileen Chun-Fruto