Immigration Issues/H1B approval lost

Question

I am a student and have a valid I-20 till December. My H-1B was approved about two months back. I have a soft copy of the form I-797A, however, I never received a hard copy of the I-797 forms from the company that filed it.

Is the soft copy of the approval sufficient to begin employment with the company that filed my H-1B? in other words, is it necessary to produce the original hard copy of the H-1B approval before beginning employment.

Thanks!  

Answer

Assuming that the approval notice states that you were granted "change of status" to H1B, you are automatically in H1B status as of the start date noted on the H1B approval notice, even if you do not possess any copy of the approval notice.

Therefore, the soft copy of the approval notice is sufficient to begin work for the H1B employer. Indeed, if you were granted change of status to H1B, you must work for the H1B employer in order to not violate your non-immigrant visa status.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora