Immigration Issues/L2 to H4 transfer

Question
Autumn Leaves
Autumn Leaves  
Hello,

My husband is on L1B visa and working for Company A. He got his H1B approved with Company B. Myself and our kid are both on L2 visa and our I-94 expires on Aug-2012. Now Company B wants my husband to travel to India and get his H1B stamped as he has not applied for COS along with his H1B petition. Should we also need to travel with him to get our H4 stamped or can we both(myself and kid) manage to get a Change Of Status(COS) being here in US once my husband returns from India in H1B visa status? If in that case will we be out of status for few days until my husband returns and Company B files our H4 visas. Is there any timeline of 180 days for this?

Seeking your expert advice.

Thanks in advance

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear RNair:

Good question and the answer  is this:

Yes, you (the adult dependent) and child (minor dependent) should travel back to India (assuming you are also Indian nationals) to get your H-4 visa stamps.  If your husband did not do a COS, then I am guessing whoever their representative was, did not also file a COS for you and child.

You would be considered out of status the moment your husband leaves the US, since you have no authorization to be in the US as L2s if he is in fact leaving L-1B status and returning to Indian for his H-1B.

If CIS does not take that view, they will certainly view that you and child as L-2s are out of status when he returns as H-1B and you are still L-2s.  

As far as the 180 count, it is possible, but the law is not clear on it.  If I were you, I would not chance it, especially if you have to return to India for your next visa.  As you know, the Embassy there is not very forgiving of even minor violations and/or overstays.

Good luck,
Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
www.immigrationvisaattorneyblog.com

Eileen Chun-Fruto