You are here:

Immigration Issues/Tourist Visa to Student Visa


Hello Ramasamy,

All other Immigration lawyers are on vacation so I decided to ask you. My issue is kind of general but I am confused I need a right person for consultancy. I arrived to the U.S 2 weeks ago and now I am thinking to convert my B1/B2 Visa into a Student Visa is this possible ? and If it is can you please give me more details on this query.

Thank you,


The process to change to F visa requires  admission in a university and  issuance of an I-20. Then you need to file for a change of status from B to F with the US immigration service.  You will be required to provide documentation of financial ability to stay and study in the US.

You should not file for a change of status to F visa immediately after your arrival into the US. The US immigration can consider your entry as fraudulent. Also you can join school only after your change of status is approved.  This rule along with the issue of intent would be major obstacles.
I would suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney before moving forward.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.