Immigration Issues/I-130 Form for my sister

I am a citizen and filed for my sister which is in Romania a I-130 form with VT. Center in Dec 2008. How long takes for them to finish the process and when it will be possible for my sister to have permanent residents statue? What time frame should I look for?
Thank you, With love in Christ.

Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney:

Dear Lau,

Thanks for your question, it is a good one...because the answer is something most people don't anticipate!

For I-130s, in categories such as yours, ie siblings filing for each other, it can take upwards of a year or more.

And when the I-130 approved, you know that it will also be a long time before she can actually enter the US with permanent residence status.

These cases are so backlogged, meaning that there are lots of people who have their applications in before yours, and you have to wait until those people are able to get their greencards first.

The waiting time is painfully long.  You should google "visa bulletin," and "priority date" to read about this process. But I'm sorry to state that it will take many many years.

Hope this points you in the right direction so you can do some more research on this type of application.

Good luck.

Eileen Chun-Fruto

Eileen Chun-Fruto

I can answer any employment-based immigration question including questions about PERM labor certifications, H-1B skilled workers, L-1A multinational managers or executives and L-1B specialized knowledge, R-1 and I-360 religious workers, investor cases (E Treaty Trader and E Treaty Investors and EB-5 "million dollar investors") and O-1 extraordinary ability cases. I can also answer any questions regarding family-based immigration, such as adoptions, waiver cases, consular processing (using foreign consulates to enter as an immigrant), marriage and fiance/fiancee cases, 245(i) cases, VAWA (Violence Against Women's Act), battered spouses, and Child Status Protection Act (CSPA).

I have over 12 years of experience in business and family immigration. I was a former law clerk for the Executive Officer for Immigration Review (the immigration courts) in San Francisco and I current serve as the California Service Center's (CSC) liaison on behalf of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. I represent individuals and corporations alike, ranging from professionals in the high tech, science, liberal arts fields. I have a special niche in working with start-up companies and individuals with more complex immigration issues.

Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Executive Committee on Immigration

J.D., University of California at Davis - King Hall School of Law (1997) B.A., University of California at Irvine, cum laude (1994)

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008: Selected to Southern California Rising Star - Super Lawyers List (an honor shared by no more than 2.5% of the attorneys practicing in the entire Southern California region) Faculty/Moderator on various AILA and LACBA continuing legal education seminars in the following topics: H-1B, O-1, religious workers, business immigration visas

My typical business clients can range from a start-up company, established engineering and software research and development companies, manufacturing, trade and distribution companies, public and private schools, and religious organizations. Family clients include spouses, parent-child petitions, siblings, naturalization, and most especially, representation of abandoned and neglected children viewed as orphans under the immigration law. I have represented many clients who relied on special provisions of the immigration law to preserve or "grandfather" benefits to family members in limited (and complicated) circumstances, to avoid re-application fees and longer waiting times.