Immigration Issues/I-797C, NOTICE OF ACTION

Question
HI! IVE BEEN LIVING IN THE US MORE THAN 20 YRS I AM 26 YRS OLD. IM TRYING TO GET MY RESIDENCY THRU MY MOM WHICH IS ONLY A RESIDENT THRU AN I817 (APPLICATION FOR VOLUNTARY DEPARTURE UNDER THE FAMILY UNITY PROGRAM). LESS THAN A MONTH AGO I RECEIVED A LETTER (I-797C, NOTICE OF ACTION) FOR MY BIOMETRICS CODE 1. I DID AS TOLD AND JUST YESTERDAY I RECEIVED A LETTER (I-797C, NOTICE OF ACTION) AND IT SAYS THE FOLLOWING: NOTICE TYPE: APPROVAL NOTICE VALID FROM 2/11/2009 TO 2/10/2011. MY QUESTIONS ARE THE FOLLOWING:
1. APPROVAL OF WHAT? (I HAVE SUBMITTED PAPERS TO RENEW MY WORK PERMIT, WHICH I HAVENT RECEIVED AND IT HAS BEEN ABOUT 4 MONTHS NOW.
2. HOW MUCH LONGER FOR MY 'GREEN CARD', OR IS THERE A WEBSITE WHERE I CAN CHECK ON MY OWN N SEE HOW LONG I HAVE STILL W/O PAYING THE 150.00 FEE THRU MY ATTORNEY.
3. I HAVE A FIANCE THAT IS A US CITIZEN, WOULD IT AND HOW WOULD IT AFFECT ME IF ANY IN MY IMMIGRATION STATUS (IN A NEGATIVE OR POSITIVE WAY)?
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPERCIATED WHERE I AM DESPERATE TO KNOW ANY NEWS IT HAS BEEN SINCE ABOUT 2000 THAT IM DEALING W THIS. SINCERLY C.G.

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear C.G.,

Thanks for your question.

Your question is not easy to answer because it sounds like someone needs to take a look at your I-797.  Did you see what "case type" it lists in one of the top boxes of the notice?  I have a feeling it is for our employment authorization card or "work permit."

Work permits are now given in 2 year periods, so it sounds to me that it is an approval of your temporary work permit (I-765).

Your fiance could actually positively affect your case if you got married and could be sponsored through her.

As far as how much longer for your greencard, again, this is impossible to know unless someone looks at your documents and makes some sense of it for you.  I'm a little surprised that if you are represented by an attorney, that your attorney has not informed you of what the situation is, how much longer, what kind of approval you have, etc.

Are you working with an attorney or an immigration consultant.  If you have an attorney then they should not charge you just to check on your own case.  That's unethical and just rude.  

Get a second opinion from an attorney who will take the time to explain things to you (and not charge you for every second they speak to you).   Many immigration attorneys can do this for you over the phone but you have to send their documents.  I like to tell people I'm sort of like a doctor, I can't diagnose your problem unless I examine your documents.  You would never ask a doctor what is your disease without them looking at you, talking with you, listening to you, etc.

Good luck.  You deserve better representation.  Immigration attorneys can and should better for their clients.

Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7  

Eileen Chun-Fruto