Immigration Issues/I-94 extension beyond 6 yrs --Wife is US Citizen

Question
QUESTION: Sir,

I'm on H1 B visa currently. It will expire in 8 months from now.

My wife is a US citizen and I have son who was born in US.

I have applied for a family based GC and my 485 is pending and I-130 is approved.

I wanted to get my H1 extended through my employer. I assume that since my I-130 has been approved and I-485 is pending i should be able to get my H1 B extended.

Please correct me if my assumption is right ....or request you to please let me know the next step in order to get my H1 b extended through my employer.

Thanks Sir , waiting for your earliest reply on this.

ANSWER: Hi,

You will be unable to extend H1B status beyond six years since a PERM application (also known as application for alien employment certification) or I-140 petition (note: I-140, and not I-130) petition has been pending for at least one year before you complete six years in H1B visa status.

However, you have the option of applying for EAD (employment authorization document) based on pending I-485.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

QUESTION: Sir,

I have already applied for EAD and advance payrole alomg with i-485 which is pending.

Will i be able to work with the current employer , and is there a way that my current employer can extend my i-94.

In case if my EAD not yet received.

PLease kindly let me know alternative.

Thanks

Answer
You can work on EAD when your H1B expires, but you will be unable to extend H1B beyond six years. If your H1B expires and you have not yet received EAD, you will need to suspend your employment until the EAD is actually issued.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora