Immigration Issues/I-94 renewal

Question
Can you tell me if you ever heard of I-94 renewal?  My husband is enrolling in school and he is still waiting for his permanent resident card.  His I-94 expired and we were told that the filing of papers, I-485, etc. overrode this document.  The admissions department at the school is asking for a renewed I-94 in order to verify where he is in the immigration process.  Can you clarify this so he can tell them the correct process.  Thanks

Answer

Your husband is able to remain legally in the U.S. based on the filing of I-485, etc. He is not obligated to extend his I-94 in such a circumstance. Your husband can show the school his I-485 receipt notice along with I-130 or I-140 receipt notice and related documents such as EAD (employment authorization document) if he filed for EAD based on I-485 filing.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com  

Ajay K. Arora