Immigration Issues/F1 to Green Card


Hi, I am a international PhD student in US on F1 visa. I will finish my PhD next year and want to apply for green card. Can I do so now, while being on F1 or do I need to be on H1/J1.
Many thanks

This is not an easy question to answer, but I suggest you research a bit. There are very many different ways of obtaining a greencard. But there is not a single way that simply involves graduating from school. If you have an employer who is willing to sponsor you, that is one way. An immediate relative is another way. There are other ways of staying in the US without a greencard.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.