Immigration Issues/F1 out of status/ AOS through marriage to USC

Question
QUESTION: I am a F1 student who just married to a USC . I stop attending school since Dec 2008, am I considered out of status and can I still apply for AOS? The IO at my school said that I must stay at school until my green card is approved or I am out of status . She will go head to terminate my F1 visa if I quit school now and I will be deported, is that true? I am very puzzled and thanks for your help

ANSWER: Sandy,
Your marriage to a USC excuses your out of status stay. You can go ahead and file for your AOS. You are not required to stay in school. But I would suggest that you do so immediately so that you are protected from removal.

Sincerely,
Ramasamy Krishnan
www.ashleykrishnan.com

QUESTION: Thanks for your prompt reply. I appreciate that. I have more questions:

1) My F1 visa expires on Oct 2007, but my I -20 is valid till mid 2009, will that cause problem when I file AOS?

2) I heard that there is a grace period of 60 days after completion of program, so I am still within grace period?

3) You mentioned ".. so that you are protected from removal. ", does it mean I can be deported automatically anytime after she terminates my F1 visa?

Thanks again!
Sandy  

Answer
Sandy,
I have already answered your questions. Since you have stopped attending school you are currently out of status. But this does not matter, your marriage to a US citizen allows you to file for your Adjustment of Status. I would also advise you to consult with an immigration attorney.

Sincerely,
Ramasamy Krishnan
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Ramasamy Krishnan