Immigration Issues/H1- leave of absence

Question
I am on H1B and my employer made me give him a letter of absence (he threatened to cancel my H1 otherwise) What are the implications of my action?
Although I have sent him this letter I also have a paper trail which clearly shows that I was available for active employment all this time.
What are my options? Please help me with your advice

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Neha,

I'm sorry to hear of this.  

Even though you have been available for real, active employment at all times, it is against H-1B regulations for you to stay in the US unless you are engaging in services with your employer.

I'm afraid that the reality is you must find a new employer as fast as possible to transfer over your H-1B, or change status to another status like F-1, or leave and go home.  

Remember that you can come back to the US on H-1B using the "remainder" of your H-1B time.  You must really be careful about not staying in the US because once you are no longer receiving pay from your employer, you should be leaving.

A leave of absence does not protect you from being out of status, unless it is like a maternity leave of absence, which is not due to the employer having no work for you.  If the employer has no work for you, then you can't just take a leave of absence and stay here on H-1B.

Good luck.  I do a lot of H-1B work, so if you have further questions, please contact me again.

Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7

Eileen Chun-Fruto