Immigration Issues/H1B to F1 Visa Issues

Question
Hi Eileen,

Presently, I'm in H1B visa, planning to go to school full time. I have few
questions about H1-F1 change of status.

(1) When should be the last day of my work( for fall 2009 semester)?
(2) What are the chances of rejection in change of Status from Immigrant(H1)
to Non-immigrant(F1)?
(3) I know the application process may take up to 120 days, so in case, if my
F1 application for status change gets rejected when I'm in School, do I have to
go back to my Home country?
(4) In showing the Certificate of Financial Responsibility, is it wise to show the
documents as self-sponsored or get the documents from Home country to
show strong ties.

Thanks in advance!
Venki

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Venki,

(1)  Technically, if you are in H-1B status now, you are supposed to continue working until your change of status to F-1 is approved.

(2) This one really depends on the school which you are admitted.  Some universities near where I practice (in California) will suggest or require you to go back to your home country and get a new F-4 visa.  

(3) I'm not sure you can start studying until after your change of status is approved (please check with your international student office), but yes, if you do get the F-1 change of status denied, you have to return to your home country.

(4) I have seen it both ways.  The college international student officers might know best.  

Good luck.  This question is a little out of my main area of practice because many F-1s come to me after they graduate, but in this economy, I'm seeing so many more H-1Bs go back to school and you really have to be careful on what you hear.  Follow up with me if you have other questions or concerns.

Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7

Eileen Chun-Fruto