Immigration Issues/Immigration through marriage

Question
Hi Eileen,
I am currently in the US on a visa waiver from the UK spending time with my girlfriend of 6 months. This has been my 5th trip to the US in 15 months and the Immigration services at Newark airport have taken away my rights to travel under the visa waiver program. My girlfriend and I have been discussing seriously the possibility of getting married so that I can stay in the country with her. I love her very much and cant face the fact of having to stay in the UK as all attempts to gain a working sponsorship have failed. Can we get married and file for adjustment of status under the visa waiver program and can I stay in the country legally whilst this is happening?

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

If the CPB agents "took away your rights to travel" under the visa waiver program, it must be that they think you mis-used your visa waiver probably by entering so often in the last 15 months.

If you and your girlfriend now marry and you file for adjustment of status, it is highly likely that you will have problems with your application for permanent residency.  

As for whether you can stay in the country legally while this is pending, I want to caution you that there has been recent caselaw suggesting that you may not.  

You can take your chances, but if you are later removed, you will then face quite a few years separated from your girlfriend - then wife, and probably need a waiver to re-enter.  (This is really opening up a Pandora's box).

This is as much a legal issue as it is a judgment call.  You should seek representation and find someone you trust.  It is not at all a straightforward case and I'd be misleading to tell you that I could give you any meaningful response via email.

I realize this is a lot of negative information to digest, but it's just the truth.  Better to know than be surprised.  However, I think you really need to find an attorney to consult with and then to represent you.

Good luck.

Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7

Eileen Chun-Fruto