Immigration Issues/J1 waiver question



I am currently in the United States with a J1 visa and have a home residency requirement. I will be applying for a waiver soon under the "no objection" clause. I have the following questions -
1) I heard that once I get a waiver, I cannot renew, transfer or extend my current J1 program. Is this true?
2) If the above is true, then will I be able to apply for a new J1 program?
3) Once I start the waiver process in US, and have to go back to India, will be able to complete the waiver from India?

Thanks in advance.

1) Yes it is true
2) If it is true then your question is .........
3) Yes. But you would need to make sure that you submit all the documents and have a valid address to receive correspondence.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.