You are here:

Immigration Issues/Marriage and immigration procedures


I am an American citizen and want to marry my Peruvian girlfriend and bring her to the United States to live with me. What are the proper steps we need to take?

This is a huge question, and it is impossible to answer it thoroughly here. However, the best way to do it would be to bring her over here on a fiance visa. You will have 45 days to marry her after which time you can file for her permanent visa. If her family refuses to have her come over unless you marry her there, you are stuck in a between a legal rock and a cultural hard place. At that point you will have to go get married in Peru, and process the visa through the Consulate. This can be very easy or very difficult. The problem with the Consulate is that you will have to wait while the visa is being processed and it could take months. While you are waiting you may have to go back to the USA and work. While you are working you will not be living together as husband and wife. Then when the interview finally comes along, you will have the burden of proving that you have been living together as husband and wife when in fact you have not been living together as husband and wife. A real catch 22. If you get married in Peru, plan on staying there for a few months just to be able to prove that you lived together as husband and wife for some period of time. Otherwise I suggest you do not get married in Peru.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.