You are here:

Immigration Issues/marriage and green card


Dear Madam,
I am a US citizen and engaged to a foreigner who lives abroad.  We know each other for a long time.

I plan to travel to his country and getting married there.
How long will it take for him to get his green card?
Can we apply at the American Consulate in his country?
Thank you for answering.  


After you get married you need to file form I-130 and wait for his immigrant visa to be processed. This would take anywhere around 6-12 months depending on the consulate processing times in the country he his living.  Again filing directly with the consulate is not available in many countries and would also require you to be a long time resident ... You need to contact the concerned consulate and check on the requirements to file directly for an immigrant visa.  

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.