Immigration Issues/How can I work as a volunteer with OPT

Question
I am now a F1 student, and I will graduate in August, I think if I cannot find a job then, can I apply opt if I work as a volunteer for some employer. What's the way to do this? Thank you.

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Emily,

Thanks for your question.   You are not alone as I have many F-1 students asking me similar questions.  

If you apply for OPT, you are supposed to be working.  You should check with your school's international student advisor, but I think that you must actually be "employed" with an employer or organization in order for you to maintain your status as an F-1 staying further as an OPT.

There are some new rules regarding how often a person must work on OPT to maintain valid F-1 status.  If you are only volunteering, it may not satisfy that requirement and you would have to worry about falling out of status.  

Good luck and feel free to write back if you have further follow up concerns.

Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com

Eileen Chun-Fruto