Immigration Issues/I-130 Petition and marriage to U.S. Citizen

Question
I am a German citizen and came to the US as a short term scholar with a J1 visa at a university for 6 months and my visa expires at the end of this month (March). I then have another 30 day grace period to leave the country. As things are I got married this month to a US citizen, but we havenít filed the paperwork yet. Additionally, I would also like to continue my work here at the university and could be sponsored by the university as a Research Scholar on a new J1 Visa. My question is: What is the best way to follow to not be stuck neither here in the US nor in Germany for months without being able to travel back and forth?

Answer

Since you are an "immediate relative" based on marriage to a U.S. Citizen, both the I-130 petition ("petition for alien relative") as well as adjustment of status application (Form I-485) can be filed concurrently along with related applications such as employment authorization and advance parole document applications to allow for employment and travel while the sponsorship paperwork is being adjudicated by the USCIS. You will not need to depart the U.S. at all.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora