Immigration Issues/H1 Extension - Status

Question
Hi Ajay,
My H1B extension (4th year) was filed with the same employer on June 20, 2008.Till now the case status is 'Pending' with No RFE's. The company is currently under DOL audit. USCIS responded with "background check" for a service request from my attorney's office. My 240 days ends on May 29, 2009. Under these circumstances, How do I continue to stay employed beyond the 240 days? What is the best course of action for me to take? My company has filed for Labor on Jan, 2009. I appreciate ur help in this regard.
Thanks,Jagan

Answer

You will need to discontinue employment on May 29, 2009. You can remain legally in the U.S. after the 240 days, but you cannot be legally employed on H1B status with this company until the petition is approved.

Re. alternatives, another company can file an H1B petition for you. Also, when the application for labor certification (also known as PERM) is eventually certified, and when I-140 petition is filed and eventually I-485 application is filed, you will be issued EAD (employment authorization document) which will allow you to work independent of H1B visa status.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora