Immigration Issues/H1 transfer

Question
My situation:
I am mechanical engineer, I got laid off due to reduction in force on Nov 21st, I searched for jobs and found one under a consulting group who started my H1 transfer process on dec 22 2008. I got a query from USCIS regarding my W2 around 1 week of Jan and responded back by Jan 28th. I received the LCA case # from the company around feb 15th. I am yet to receive the receipt #. The agreement between the consulting company and me was that I will be assigned project only after I received my Receipt#.

Meanwhile I got a very good offer from a another company and they want to apply for my H1B transfer however my pay stubs are from Nov-Dec. What options am I looking at?
Consular processing?
Rejection of H1 transfer?
All smooth because I tried to maintain status however was waiting on USCIS to respond back with receipt #?

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Regarding your situation, it sounds likely that your H-1B transfer to Company A may work out however, it as you mention, you do have a small gap in time between when you were laid off on Nov. 21st and when your transfer case was received by USCIS, on or around Dec. 22.

The issue of whether or not small gaps in status in the context of lay offs has been a big issue with our private bar association and the USCIS.  I sit on a committee that works with the California Service Center to *try* and make them sensitive to the fact that workers like yourself are often laid off with little to no notice and that laid off H-1Bs should be given some sort of grace period or leeway if they are able to find a new employer within a reasonable amount of time.

The USCIS so far, as not been responsive to our requests.  Remember that if you are approved for Company A and later Company B, you may be asked to consular process a new H-1B visa abroad, but there should be no reason for a denial of the H-1B if you are eligible and qualified to do the work proffered.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7

Eileen Chun-Fruto