Immigration Issues/OPT employment under STEM

Question
Sir,

Is it possible to start working for an employer on OPT who is not e-verify employer? I have heard that employer must be e-verify in order to hire OPT candidates or is it only for those OPT candidates who will seek an additional extension after complettion of the initial OPT period under STEM program.

Please also clarify whether the STEM candidate can also work with any employer who is not enrolled in e-verify program during the initial alloted OPT period?

Thank You.

John.

Answer
Hi John,

The employer must be enrolled in e-verify before you start OPT period under STEM program. Regular OPT does not require employer to be enrolled in e-verify. Please check with the international student advisor (also known as DSO) about STEM extension of OPT.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora