Immigration Issues/changing b1 visa to either h1 or j1

Question
hello! can I over stay my I94 (which will expire after 3 weeks) while waiting for changing my b1 visa to h1 or j1 visa?

a little information about my condition: I am a foreign medical school graduate and I am going to sign a contract with on of the hospitals in 3 days as a first year resident and they gonna offer me a j1 or h1 visa

thank you for your time,

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Nadia,

Congratulations on getting a residency with a US hospital.  I handle many residency cases for foreign doctors.  I know that the process to get a match and finish all your licensing exams is a lengthy one.

Technically, you can stay for as long as your case (changing your status from B-1 to H1-B or J-1) is pending.  

However, there are strict rules pertaining to the B-1 usage and when you make the application for the change of status.

Remember that you cannot begin work until the application is approved.

Good luck.

Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7

Eileen Chun-Fruto