Immigration Issues/immigration (adoption)

Good mourning, my question is short yet complicated. To narrow it down i was adopted when i was 12 and now i am currently 20 years of age. My adopted mother became a US citizen last November and filed for my papers. Also i have lived all my life (145 years) in the US legally with a tax id number. Furthermore i had to leave the US to Colombia for personal reasons but now i have no re-entry. my two question to you, if i may, are as following. 1) how long does the process normally take, 2) is it more likely that i would get my citizenship or my residency.

In conclusion i would like to take this time to thank you for answering my questions....

Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Jairo,

Good questions that you are asking but I do not have enough information to give you any meaningful answer.

Did your adopted mother ever file papers for your permanent residence before your 18th birthday?  When you say you lived in the US legally with a tax id number, did you not have a greencard?   How were you living in the US?  Under what status?

Regarding possible citizenship, you would have to make sure that the adoption decree was finalized and that your mother had physical and legal custody of you for a certain amount of time.

I think your case is a little complicated, if you can provide more information, it would help me to answer your question.

Kind regards,
Eileen Chun-Fruto

Eileen Chun-Fruto

I can answer any employment-based immigration question including questions about PERM labor certifications, H-1B skilled workers, L-1A multinational managers or executives and L-1B specialized knowledge, R-1 and I-360 religious workers, investor cases (E Treaty Trader and E Treaty Investors and EB-5 "million dollar investors") and O-1 extraordinary ability cases. I can also answer any questions regarding family-based immigration, such as adoptions, waiver cases, consular processing (using foreign consulates to enter as an immigrant), marriage and fiance/fiancee cases, 245(i) cases, VAWA (Violence Against Women's Act), battered spouses, and Child Status Protection Act (CSPA).

I have over 12 years of experience in business and family immigration. I was a former law clerk for the Executive Officer for Immigration Review (the immigration courts) in San Francisco and I current serve as the California Service Center's (CSC) liaison on behalf of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. I represent individuals and corporations alike, ranging from professionals in the high tech, science, liberal arts fields. I have a special niche in working with start-up companies and individuals with more complex immigration issues.

Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Executive Committee on Immigration

J.D., University of California at Davis - King Hall School of Law (1997) B.A., University of California at Irvine, cum laude (1994)

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008: Selected to Southern California Rising Star - Super Lawyers List (an honor shared by no more than 2.5% of the attorneys practicing in the entire Southern California region) Faculty/Moderator on various AILA and LACBA continuing legal education seminars in the following topics: H-1B, O-1, religious workers, business immigration visas

My typical business clients can range from a start-up company, established engineering and software research and development companies, manufacturing, trade and distribution companies, public and private schools, and religious organizations. Family clients include spouses, parent-child petitions, siblings, naturalization, and most especially, representation of abandoned and neglected children viewed as orphans under the immigration law. I have represented many clients who relied on special provisions of the immigration law to preserve or "grandfather" benefits to family members in limited (and complicated) circumstances, to avoid re-application fees and longer waiting times.