Immigration Issues/I am a sponsor


I hope that you can assist me.  I sponsored a gentleman from Egypt...his wife is a US citizen and I only knew her because her daughter is engaged to my son.  I felt pressured into the sponsorship and did not want to do this from the beginning.  She left in january and left her husband here alone in montana.  I have been paying his rent and utilities and he has a lease until april.  Yesterday he just vanished, abandoned his apartment and left.  I spoke to her sister and it's believed that they are hiding together somewhere.  I am very much in a panic and fear that I have done the wrong thing.  He told me a lie and said that she took all the immigration papers and asked for mine so that he can make a I have NOTHING with his information on it...I have his name and address here but nothing else.  Her girls have not heard from her ..she has some mental issues and should seek help.  Any help you can give to me is appreciated.

Thank you

I am afraid I really don't know what you are talking about. I don't even know exactly what you mean by you "sponsoring" him. There is no way to sponsor an immigrant in the US. You can hire the person under one of many visas, but there really is no way of sponsoring someone. So I am confused. I suspect you are too.

I suggest you go and contact an attorney experienced in immigration law and try to bring as much information as possible. Explain to him or her everything. You will probably be charged for the interview. It may be worth it. You will at least have a better idea of where you stand.

You could go to the immigration and report the situation, but if you have done something really bad, it could get you into trouble. You should first contact an attorney so that you know your situation and your rights.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.