Immigration Issues/sponsoring parents

Question
My husband is a naturalized u.s. citizen and he wants to petition for his mom to get a green card/lpr. She has been in the us for 20 yrs. Will she have to go back to Mexico to file? She has never been deported.

Answer

A U.S. citizen can sponsor parents, children, or spouse as "immediate relatives". As long as the beneficiary entered the U.S. legally, adjustment of status can be filed in the U.S. Therefore, your husband's mother can adjust status in the U.S. without departing the U.S. if she initially entered the U.S. legally (even if she subsequently overstayed), as long as she has not been deported or removed from the U.S.

The petition for alien relative (to be signed by your husband) and the adjustment of status application (to be signed by his mother) can be filed concurrently with the USCIS.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora