Immigration Issues/Death of the Visa Holder

Question
My friend is an L1B Visa Holder and brought his family to the US. Unfortunately, he met an accident while working offshore San Diego. Will his dependents be allowed to stay while the case is in progress and what options can they take to remain in the US.

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Stephen,

First of all, condolences to you and your friend's surviving family.  It sounds like a very sad situation, and if he was working offshore as an L-1B person of specialized knowledge, I gather he was developing or working on something important to our nation, be it in support of our natural resources or other offshore projects.  I'm sorry to hear of this loss.

Unfortunately, his dependents would not be allowed to stay. Their visa statuses do depend on the primary's status.  Without him, they would have to find an independent grounds to stay on their own merits.  The children might be able to get F-1 status as students, but that means they'll probably have to find a private, tuition-based  school.  His wife, if she is at all eligible for another type of work visa would then have to find an employer to sponsor her.

If his wife can find another status to stand on, *on her own qualifications,* then of course, the children can would be her dependents and there would be no need for them to be on student status.  I mention the student status idea above in that if the mother could not find a status of her own, then the children could try to stay as foreign students on their own (without her).  Not sure that's the best idea if the family is in grieving, but as far as immigration options, those are my initial thoughts.

If the family has follow up questions, please continue to post.

Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7

Eileen Chun-Fruto