Immigration Issues/H1-F2-H1



Mu husband who has a PhD from a US university currently holds a H1B visa and works as an assistant professor. He is joining another university beginning September 1 2009. His current employer is terminating his employment in mid-May. Can he change his status to F2 for the interval? Would it be a problem for his next employer to petition a H1B when his petition for F2 is pending? Thanks a lot.

He can change to F-2 and then back to H-1B without any difficulty.  

Further, if he wishes to continue to stay and work in the US, he should look into filing for his US permanent residency. My firm specializes in representing researchers and professors like your husband. And will be glad to provide a free evaluation of his credentials.

Ramasamy Krishnan  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]