Immigration Issues/H4 to H1

Question
Hello,

I am working in India for an MNC. My husband works in US on H1. I've entered us on H4 for a couple of months last year and returned back to India. In february this year, I got my H1B stamped. However at consulate they did not cancel my H4.

Now, it looks like my employer is going to take some time before sending me on onsite assignment, can I,

1. Enter US on H4 for few weeks on vacation?
2. Will they cancel my H1 at port of entry?
3. If they do not cancel H1, can I change my status from H4 to H1 once the assignment is ready?

Thanks
Jyothi

Answer

You can enter the U.S. using H4 visa stamp. At the port-of-entry, you will be issued an I-94 stating H4 visa status. The inspector at the port-of-entry will not normally cancel the H1B visa stamp.

You can change status from H4 to H1B in the U.S., but this requires the filing of an H1B petition requesting "change of status" within the U.S. Alternatively, you can depart the U.S. and then enter the U.S. using H1B visa stamp already in your passport. The I-94 that is issued to you at the port-of-entry will state H1B, and thus you will be on H1B status when you enter the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora